Here is a super simple knitting pattern for a baby hat. It has a ribbed edge and is knitted in the round, then bound off and stitched closed at the top. Super simple for beginners or anyone who wanted to knit a quick hat! I was able to complete this in a few hours. I've seen a few variations of this pattern out there and decided to write my own. I hope you enjoy!
Items You'll Need
- Any worsted weight yarn. I used Suger n' Cream Stripes in "Violet Stripes"
- Size 7 double pointed needles or circulars
- Size 5 DPNs or circulars for ribbing
- Yarn needle to close it all up
- Something to wrap your yarn around if you're making your own pom poms - I used a plastic ruler that I keep with my knitting supplies
- If you're not making your own, you can use store bought jumbo pom poms
Gauge: 2" = 9 stitches and 12 rows
Sizing: The final hat has a 12" circumference. Using the gauge information, you can add or subtract to make it wider or narrower.
Knit Your Baby Hat
- Loosely cast on 52 sts on size 5 needles
- Join the ends and knit in the round using a rib knit pattern (k1, p1) for 6 rows
- Switch to size 7 needles
- Knit in the round for 30 rows
- Bind off
- Lay the hat flat and stitch the top edge closed
- Now make 2 pom poms and sew them to the top points of the hat
- Weave in all loose yarn tails
That's it! You're all finished!